Greater Harlem Nursing Home & Rehabilitation Center established since 1976, is a vital 200 bed non-profit facility located at 30 West 138th Street between Lenox and 5th Avenues. The facility has been described as a “true treasure in the Harlem community” where the employees work tirelessly to set standards of excellence by creating a homelike environment for the residents in their new home. Our residents come from all walks of life and the staff ensures that each individual is treated with respect and dignity.
Our mission is to stand ready to serve and administer to the health and well-being of all community residents. We believe that each individual has a right to quality health care and a sense of well being. Each employee is therefore commented to treat all residents equally with understanding, compassion, and respect.
Greater Harlem provides an array of services that meets the needs of each resident.
- Our Social Service Department reviews all referrals for placement. Family members and friends are encouraged to visit and tour the facility and to participate in the resident’s plan of care. The Social Worker ensures that each resident maintains a special connection with his/her past while residing at Greater Harlem whether their stay is short term—some do return home – or long term.
- Our Rehabilitation Department offers physical, occupational and speech therapies at the highest level of interdisciplinary care available. Treatment programs are coordinated to maximize each level of residents’ physical function and independence.
- Our Therapeutic Recreation staff is very creative in providing many fun and interesting programs and events on a daily basis. Such events include birthday club, anniversary club, shopping trips, trips to ball games, etc. Our Greater Harlem Choir with Jimmy Miller, Musical Director, is outstanding. Activities are intended to help in maximizing the functional social and psychological abilities of each individual. Residents maintain their own council, meets monthly where they discuss what’s working well and what needs improvement in the facility. Issues are addressed with corrective action taken when indicated.
- Our Medical Care is provided by board certified physicians. Each resident has an attending physician who examines, plans and prescribes appropriate treatment for his/her care. The facility also offers an array of consultative medical services that includes cardiology, dentistry, ophthalmology, podiatry, psychiatry, etc.
- Our Skilled Nursing Care – provided 24 hours daily by licensed RNs, LPNs and Certified Nurse Aides. Nurses and CNAs are experienced in modern methods and techniques for the physical care and emotional well being of each resident.
The focus in the nursing department is CPR – Courtesy Professionalism and Respect.
- Food Service – meals and diets are prepared under the watchful supervision of our Food Service director and dieticians. Appetizing and nutritional meals are created to accommodate all of the residents’ cultural, seasonal and personal preferences. Meals are served in an attractive sociable setting and family members are always welcome to observe and participate in meal services.
- Pastoral Care – Religious services are offered for all faiths. There is also a pastor among our resident population who conducts stimulating services.
Pastoral counseling is offered and given when needed.
- Barber/Beautician Services – Our beauty parlor promotes a social atmosphere when residents relax to music as they get their hair cut, shampooed, permed, and styled.
- Volunteers – Our volunteers make significant contributions to our facility. They serve as companions, escorts, feeders, etc. and participate in a very vibrant intergenerational program.
Our vision for Greater Harlem is to expand our services to include Assisted Living, Adult Day Care, Child Day Care, Outpatient rehab and Diagnostic and Treatment Center.
For information regarding admission please call: 212 690-7400 ext 234 for Yvette Ortega or ext. 232 - Nadine Sam